If you're an administrator or parents who wants to stop users from accessing certain websites, here is way to block unwanted websites from the PC itself. Blocking access from the PC will help to ease the local traffic.
The trick is by simply editing the hosts file. To edit this file:
- Go to your Run and type "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc" minus the quotes of course.
- Double-click the "hosts" file.
- When prompted to open, choose Notepad and open the file.
- Inside you will see "127.0.0.1 localhost".
- Add the websites that you wish to block below the "127.0.0.1 localhost". In this example I use facebook:
- Don't forget that websites to blocked must have the url with "www" and with out "www" in the list.
- Save the file.
Here is the screenshot of the example.
When the user try to access the block websites, the site will not load on the web browser.